Monday, June 29, 2009

Mauritania is so last week.

Well, I got a call last week from PC telling me that our trip to Mauritania was canceled. I was incredibly unsurprised by this as we had been postponed without a new, solid departure date, our visas were still not coming, and the day before the call an American was shot in Nouakchott, the capitol. By Al Qaeda. Soooo, yeah. I was waiting basically waiting for the trip to be canceled and considering how long everything else has taken I'm glad they didn't wait until August to cancel it.

Anyway, I just got an email today with a new assignment that's in Cameroon and leaves in September. I will read some more about it but I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept it as it's still in the same field (Community Health) and Cameroon is still (partially) a francophone country. I know next to nothing about the country so I was a bit disappointed, mostly because I'd started reading up on some other country possibilities and, for no particular reason, this wasn't one of them. Regardless, though, I plan on reading up about it over the next 10 days and then making my decision.

In the meantime, it looks like I'm going to move to Phoenix in a couple weeks and spend the rest of the summer there. Why? Well, a) I have that big city itch again; b) Joey's there and has a room I can rent for cheap; and c) well...that's about it, those are my reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment