Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ko Phagnan

One thing I forgot to mention in the last blog was that the night of the full moon was also the lunar eclipse. As we were eating some food and hanging out, the eclipse started and it seemed to take forever. Isn’t the moon only supposed to be completely covered for a matter of minutes if not seconds? Well, this moon stayed an orangeish color for quite a while. Maybe there were clouds in the way, who knows.

Anyway, the four of us loaded into the back of the pickup taxi along with two German girls and two French girls. We started chatting with them and luckily they were nice because the ride to Haat Rim was about 45 minutes. We drove up and down steep hills as the lights from hotels and houses flashed by. But we knew we were there when we slowed down and I saw what looked somewhat similar to Duval St. in Key West. Lots of bars, restaurants, 7-Elevens, tattoos shops, T-shirt vendors, and our personal favorite: buckets of alcohol vendors. We were still hanging out with the French and German girls so we decided to get two small buckets and roll with that for the time being.

We walked around until we got to the entrance to the proper boardwalk and paid our 100 baht (about 3 bucks) to get in. I was a little opposed at first to paying the entrance fee as I thought it was just another way to rip some money out of us but I read earlier that the money from that goes almost entirely to security and cleaning up the beach the next day. And oh, that beach cleaning was needed.

Let me take a step back and say that I’ve never been to Cancun or anywhere else in Mexico for Spring Break, but the Full Moon Party is pretty much how I imagined it if there were simply more Europeans and less Americans. Most of the guys weren’t wearing shirts, lots of girls were only wearing bikinis, there was day-glo paint on probably 75% of people. The music was a mix of anything poppy and in a club from the last couple years (lots of LMFAO, Pitbull, and Duck Sauce), and the alcohol was flowing like water.

We got to the beach and the German girls took off and walked a different way. Had enough of us, I guess. After a few minutes, Henry also said he needed to walk around a bit. I think all of the lights and people were getting to him, a bit of a culture shock having come from Cameroon and all. Well, that was the last I saw of him that night, as it was a bit hard to keep track of your group when there’s around 8,000 people there.

So we were down to five (including the French girls, Lauren and Pauline) and we walked around the beach for a while, watched some fire dancers, and stared in amazement at how this place was so incredibly terrible, but at the same time so much fun.

Around midnight, Lauren and Pauline said they wanted to get a drink so we followed them up to a bar overlooking the beach. Well, I was right behind them and when we got to the bar, I turned around and couldn’t see Joey or Paul. I found out later that they thought we were going to a different bar, lost us, and then kept wandering around. Well, I tried to call Henry at this point to see where he was and, of course, he had left his phone in his room at the hotel.

So now we were down to three. The girls got their drinks and we continued to wander around, lazily looking for Paul, Joey, and Henry, and occasionally having impromptu three-person dance parties when a good song would come on.

We came across a giant flaming jump rope in the middle of a huge circle of people. It was held on either end from two people on stands about 6 feet off the ground. After watching for a bit, I knew I had to do it. So I ran into the middle where there was already one person and then started jumping. We got about twice around before he caught the rope and we both tumbled, furiously crawling away from the flaming rope. No burns!

There was also a slide from the top of a building that went down onto the beach and that was pretty fun. Somebody told me the next day that Joey was all about that slide. Kind of weird we didn’t run into each other then, ain’t it?

Around 3:30 am the three of us decided it was time to head back to the hotel so we went and found a pickup taxi and took the long ride back to our hotel. I had tried to call Henry a number of times, as I still didn’t know that he had forgotten his phone. Also in the pickup were two Dutch people (not very talkative) and two Swedes (very talkative). The Swedes were pretty surprised to hear me speaking French with the French girls, and I even tutored them a little bit on the particulars of Cameroonian French. (C’est comment mon frère? Tu es là? Prochainement!) Unfortunately, I think that I have officially forgotten all of my Swedish because I could literally only think of a few words in Swedish.

Well, when we got back to the hotel, I said goodnight to the French girls and went back to my room, wondering if Joey and Paul would be there, or Henry for that matter. Nobody was, but my spirits raised quite a bit when I realized that I in fact had the key in my pocket, not Paul. We had spent almost 24 hours straight travelling and then followed it with the biggest beach party in the world. I was exhausted and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow…

…And then was awoken at 7 when Joey and Paul stumbled in. Well, naturally I got up and we all started exchanging stories from what happened. Apparently they’d found Henry at some point wandering by himself (he had decided almost immediately after he left us to turn around and find us but wasn’t able to) and he had also seen me at one point from afar and then tailed me for a while before losing me in the crowd again. Like I said, Joey tore up the slide and they also said they were hanging around the flaming jump rope. They’d gotten back at around 5 and then slept in the hammocks outside of our little cabins and then woke me up when the sun became too bright. Well, I was awake at this point, fresh off my two solid hours so I woke Patrick and Henry up and the three of us spent most of the day playing cards, swimming, and using the internet. Patrick and I were also able to negotiate the price of our rooms down a bit. Each room was now only about 8$ per night. A pretty good deal considering it was right on the ocean with an amazing view. Paul and Joey woke up quite a bit later.

I also noticed a little after I woke up that I couldn’t locate my phone. I think what happened was after I tried to call Henry for the last time the night before somebody must have swiped it from my pocket as we were walking through the big crowd to find a taxi. It was only the first time I’ve ever been pick pocketed, so I guess it had to happen sometime.

At one point, though, we swam across the little bay to the island across from us and walked around there a bit. I guess swam is a little misleading. At lowish tide we waded over the sandbar, though the water was about to our waists and the rip tide was incredibly strong, especially on the way back. The island, though, was pretty bizarre. It was a resort of some sort, though it’s been abandoned. There were still mattresses in the rooms, though most of the doors have fallen off and the mattresses were pretty nice. It made me wonder if the place was a popular place for squatters or campers. Henry was convinced the whole time that we were going to find dead bodies around the next corner.

We had dinner at a restaurant next to the hotel (not too good and pretty overpriced), and then hung out with Pauline and Lauren. We played some cards and listened to music fairly late into the night. Paul tried to go for a swim at one point but didn’t walk to the beach we’d been at earlier in the day and ended up getting a few punctures on his feet from coral. They didn’t look too bad but, then again, what do I know about cuts from broken pieces of coral.

Pauline and Lauren left the next day and headed off to the island of Ko Tao. We had thought of going here for a bit, particularly as it’s the easiest island to hop to from Ko Phangan. In the end we decided against it because the main thing to do there is get your Diving License and do some scuba diving. The only person really interested in that was Patrick and he didn’t want to shell out all the cash for it.

That day we rented motorcycles at around noon (5 bucks for 24 hours!) and drove all over the island. We stopped at this nice little roadside shack and some pretty good fried noodle dishes. For my money, this was one of the best meals on the island. After a few hours on the bikes we realized we were getting pretty close to Haat Rim again, the town with the Full Moon Party, so we decided to turn around, take a break, and get something to drink at a bar. Well, the first bar we found was called Lady Bar and we stopped there and each got a Coke.

The place seemed pretty nice, with comfortable chairs and a pool table. After about five minutes a woman came over and sat down with us and tried to start a conversation. From what I’ve seen, any woman in a developing country who comes and sits and talks to a group of foreign men is generally a prostitute, though a polite prostitute who will generally leave you alone once it’s clear you’re not interested. Well, she talked for a little while with us—or rather: at us—before I realized a little something on her upper lip. Was that the hint of a 5 o’clock shadow? Was this the first Thai Ladyboy I’d spoken too? I believe it was. She was sassy and commented to Henry once that her friends behind the counter thought that he was handsome. After a few minutes she wished us a good day, I think realizing that her charm wasn’t working too well on us. As we were leaving, though, Henry refused to believe that she was a prostitute or a lady boy. “I think she was just nice guys, and she knows a handsome man when she sees one.” Sure Henry, sure.

The next day we used up the rest of our time with the motos and turned them in around noon. We spent most of the day using the internet, playing cards, and eating. Behind our hotel was a little bakery that had just opened up and was being run by a French guy and his French girlfriend, though I can’t remember their names. They were super nice and Patrick and I each got a pizza from them for dinner.

That night after every one else went to sleep, Henry and I crossed the sandbar and went to the island across from us to explore. The tide was completely down and we were able to walk across without getting more than our ankles wet. The island was quite spooky at night and we felt a little bit like we were in Scooby Doo. I picked up a big long bamboo stick to use for protection and Henry picked up a spiked palm frond. We tip toed around a bit and at one point I picked up a rock and gently tossed it nearby. Henry jumped in the air just like in a cartoon and I nearly died laughing. We came to a house, though, that looked like it had some weird shadows in it. Upon a closer inspection those shadows were just caused by the moon, though we saw some dark shapes on one of the mattresses. Was it a person? No idea. Either way, though, we dropped our stuff and booked it back to our hotel.

The next day we packed everything up and took off. The ferry ride was pretty uneventful, we just played cards and relaxed. There were two European girls on it though that just looked like a mess. They were falling asleep almost everywhere and could barely stand up straight. Partying too hard the night before hardly seems like an adequate description.

Anyway, we eventually made it to Surat Thani, a town a little bit inland where we could either catch the train or a bus. We opted to stay for a night, though there wasn’t too much to see or do here, and then catch a bus in the morning. It might have been one of the best decisions of the trip because we had a fantastic night.

We found a hotel and then relaxed for a little bit before going over to the night market. Definitely the best night market I’ve been to so far on this trip. We sport ate our way through it. I had some sausage, sushi, a kiwi-strawberry shake, and the best Pad Thai ever. I learned something from Patrick this night which is how we found the Pad Thai. When he’s at a food market he goes to wherever all the locals are and just gets whatever they’re getting. We didn’t even know it was Pad Thai at first (and it was so good and had some differences that maybe it wasn’t even bad Thai) but he got one and once I saw his I went back and got another.

Anyway, as we were eating these two British girls came up and approached us and we talked with them for quite a while. They’d just spent a few weeks on Ko Phagnan at this hippy retreat and were heading off to Cambodia next. I think before that they’d been in Indonesia and South Africa. Very cool girls and we jokingly said maybe we’d see them in Angkor Wat.

We went back to the hotel and watched music videos on Joey’s computer for quite a while when all of a sudden we hear a knock on the door. We opened and saw another British woman who we initially thought was going to ask us to keep it down. Instead, she asked us if we could wake her up in the morning when we woke up (she was in the room next to mine) because she had to be at work early. She didn’t really give us a straight forward reason why she couldn’t get up herself but I assumed she was partying a bit hard that night. After a minute or two of talking to her, I realized that she had something white on her upper lip and her pupils were pretty dilated. Joey had noticed this too and told us after she left that a lot of expats, tourists, and travelers around SE Asia get really into a ground up mixture of meth and heroin. That seems like a pretty serious thing to do casually when you’re working (or travelling, for that matter) in a foreign country, and especially one with such strict drug laws like Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment