Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Egypt v. Cameroon: The Match

I arrived at the bar (Chez Linda) at 5:20, thinking the match started at 5:30. When I arrived, however, I saw tons of people glued to the TVs and realized the game was already twenty minutes deep. Woops, better start betting on the safe side when somebody tells me when a game starts. Anyway, I grabbed a beer from the fridge and snagged a causiere (a plastic beer container) and tipped it over near the back of the back room next to my friend Amadou, a pretty mild mannered guy who was sipping on a fanta, and started watching the match.

Cameroon scored first and everybody in the whole bar that I could see (indeed, probably most people in the town and even the parts of the country with electricity) erupted in applause. We all jumped up, shouting, toasting to the team and some people even started singing and dancing. A couple people went into renditions of the Kirikou song which goes something like this: “Kirikou, il est petite comme ca, mais il est forte! Il est forte!” (Kirikou, he is small like this, but he is strong! He is strong!) They replaced Kirikou with “Samuel Eto’o,” the captain and best player on the national squad, and it worked out pretty nicely. I’m not sure there’s anything like watching soccer with Africans, especially when one of the teams playing is the national team. It’s makes the sport… interesting.

Anyway, the game went on and the Egyptian team equalized before the half ended. About ten minutes into the second half the Cameroonian team had a good shot on the goal but wasn’t able to capitalize. A few people in the room applauded the effort but one guy actually started cheering, “C’est bonne! C’est bonne!” (It’s good! It’s good!) Immediately, several people started yelling at him asking him who he was supporting. The second he said Egypt Amadou got to his feet (along with most of the room) and started advancing towards the guy. Like I said earlier, Amadou is generally a very calm guy and the only time I’ve ever seen him upset before was when Cameroon nearly blew it against Zambia the previous week. He was one of the first to grab the guy by the shirt and call him a Chadian, though several people quickly separated them—though whether to prevent the ensuing fight or to try to grab a piece themselves, I’m not sure.

Anyway, I thought this was a minor scuffle so I kept an eye on what was happening basically in front of me and also kept trying to watch the game. I can’t really go into details because I couldn’t understand everything that was going on but what I did catch was essentially people getting violently angry at this guy for not supporting his country. Somebody turned off the TV, one or two people tried to keep 30 people away from the Egyptian supporter, and I went into the next room to watch the match and keep an eye on the fight. Patriotism certainly runs high here. After about twenty minutes of scuffles, the guy was dragged out of the bar, on one arm by his friend who was defending him and then on the other by the owner of the bar who I’m pretty sure I saw taking a swing at him at one point—though I don’t think he connected and he may have been trying to “break it up”.

A couple minutes after the fight broke up, I went back into the room (there was still about 10 minutes left in the second half) and sat down back on my upturned causiere. Tempers were still high and people were still arguing, yelling and pissed, not only at the Egyptian supporter but also at how the match was now tied. After I’d sat down for a couple minutes, another guy stood up at a comment from somebody else and took a lunge at some guy who I guess was a friend of the guy who’d been kicked out. I left the room and went to talk to the guy who worked at the bar and he asked me what happened. I was starting to get carried away and I said, “There was a guy who was supporting Egypt!” He shook his head and replied, “It’s only football….” I snapped out of it and realized that was the most rational thing I’d heard all night. Talk about being grounded.

Yes, soccer is a big part of life here. The vast majority of people loves the national team and watches them play with a fiery passion. But is it really worth getting into a fight over? I understand the implications of nationalism and the need to support one’s country, especially when the national team has historically been pretty good and is a point of national pride… but is it really worth coming to blows over? I certainly can’t answer that question.

I guess the longer I spend here the more I realize I don’t have any answers to my questions, only more and more questions. Nothing to do but keep asking them, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment